Upwork (501+ Employees, 35% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
We are looking for a curious, driven Analytics/Data Science Manager to help us keep Upwork safe from bad users and build an easy-to-use/low-friction platform for our good users. The Analytics team works with Product and Operations to understand how both good and bad users interact with Upwork. We develop ways to predict who’s who (using Data Science) and put in automated and manual safeguards to ensure that good users can use Upwork easily while making it difficult for bad users to exploit the good. We A/B test religiously.
You will lead and grow a small team of analysts working within Trust & Safety. Your primary responsibility will be to empower, guide, and up-level your team, so that they can contribute to the growth of Upwork. You will be a player-coach. A mentor/technical leader that your team can lean on while taking on the hardest problems in your domain!
The Upwork Analytics team harnesses a wealth of data to empower our leaders across the company and drive thought leadership on critical projects. We strive to constantly improve our understanding of how users grow their business through Upwork and lead key analyses that accelerate growth. This is an opportunity to join an outstanding and growing team with an inclusive culture that delivers meaningful insights to the entire company!
- Be the rock that supports your team, the guide that shows them the path, and the leader that revels in their success.
- Use outstanding technical/business skills to train/help your team while knowing when to step back and let them find their way.
- Hold your team accountable while creating a safe/protected space to let them fail
- Contribute to solving the complex problems inherent to a double-sided marketplace. Deliver undiscovered insights to key partners that compel changes in corporate strategy and product decisions.
- Partner with the Leadership Team, FP&A, and the larger Analytics community in asking difficult questions about the inner workings of our marketplace, specifically as they relate to Trust & Safety, and then leading the effort to answer those questions.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Showcase extensive experience leading analytics projects end-to-end and thriving in a multifaceted, fast-paced environment. Show us that you’ve made a difference with tangible outcomes in previous roles.
- Experience with Python/R
- Combine strong SQL skills, BI proficiency (Looker experience preferred but not required), a working knowledge of A/B experiments, and a demonstrable understanding of statistics.
- Show passion for getting into the details – write code, dig into data, iterate quickly and take action.
- Previous experience in a marketplace or eCommerce business.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also hire full-time employees in 19 states in the United States.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Careers page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.