Help Scout (51-200 Employees, 45% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
This is a full-time, remote position.
Help Scout is looking for our first Senior Cloud Database Administrator to join our Foundations team. Your work on this team will power the critical data that our customers depend on every day. You will manage large, frequently changing data-sets with thousands of transactions per second!
Our ideal candidate takes pride in designing scalable database architectures and choosing the right technologies to meet customer needs. You excel at building scalable, reliable and easy to manage databases. Your work as an experienced DBA will empower over 12,000 businesses around the world to provide excellent customer service and will support the other senior engineers on your team.
We leverage Aurora MySQL, PostgresSQL and MongoDB for several tools at Help Scout, knowledge or even expertise in these tools is a plus. Relevant experience in other DB technologies will be considered.
Technologies we use:
- We leverage AWS, Aurora MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Solr, Lucene, Ignite, Redis, RabbitMQ, and Kafka.
- We also use Slack, Jira, Github, Ansible, Docker and Drone.
About the role:
- You’ll be a part of the Foundation team managing our current databases and lead the design of our future data architecture which will enable autonomous teams to build solutions that delight our customers.
- You’ll be responsible to plan, design, implement and support our databases, manage their health, performance, availability and security.
- You’ll assist software engineers with database definition, query optimization, creating indexes and data structures related to application-specific design.
- You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your solutions will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability.
- You’ll be working with product people that challenge you to get better every day. The founders are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for customers. You’ll deploy work that moves the needle for businesses around the world.
- You will periodically partner with our Talent team to help us hire our future team members.
- At this time, we are only able to hire in the following: United States, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, United Kingdom.
- In order to ensure enough team overlap, you’re located anywhere between Pacific Time(UTC-8) and Central European Time(UTC+1) zones.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. For this role, our bands are between $156,000 to 193,000 USD. Read more about how we approach compensation here!
- You have a growth mindset, a passion for learning, and are willing to lean into discomfort for the good of our customers and product.
- You bring a level of database and data architecture expertise that will help us deliver an outstanding experience for customers and fellow developers.
- You’re a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work and time-management style to be remote-friendly.
- You have experience collaborating with engineers, product, and design folks to craft relevant, customer-focused solutions, that serve high volumes of traffic.
- You consider how your work impacts others, and demonstrate thoughtful, flexible approaches to mentoring and guiding technical decisions.
- You value giving and receiving feedback just as much as we do. You see it as an opportunity for personal and career growth
Competitive salary – Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn’t divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance – We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we’ll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance – we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation – Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical – After you’ve been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care – 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match– via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend – Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Bonuses – everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you’d like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency – Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 160 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We’re remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a “remote first” company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we’re dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that’s just the start. Here’s our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We’re committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It’s not a cost to be optimized, it’s their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We’re leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our commitment to you
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it’s the right thing to do.