Contra.com (51-200 Employees, 1000% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Contra is an Independent-first community and commission-free hiring platform empowering the future of work. We match Independents with flexible opportunities, and Clients with the perfect Independent for any project — from content creation to coding. We strongly believe that independence isn’t just a gig, it’s a way of life.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our fast-growing team. Our data stack includes BigQuery, PostgreSQL, Airbyte, dbt and Looker. This is a big role at a fast-growing startup, working on a team of highly-accomplished, yet humble people who are passionate about the mission of the company.
How you’ll add value at Contra:
- Exceptional knowledge of PostgreSQL and BigQuery
- Broad experience with ELT, data modeling and BI tools
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Know enough Linux, Docker and Kubernetes to troubleshoot
- Are located within North America
You’ll be successful here if you own:
- Data pipelines
- Data transformation to meet Data Analyst needs
- Deployment of basic models (optimizing for performance)
- The above describes the core ownership of this role. We are looking to you to be self-sufficient and initiate projects that push the company forward. We are looking for high-energy, high-capability, high-ambition individuals who are keen to advance their own knowledge and can demonstrate how their input advances business goals. lt will be your call to advise in how to grow our data engineering beyond what it is, including researching and proposing new technologies.
How Contra can add value for you:
- Remote-only culture that is here to stay
- 100% health coverage for US full-time employees, and health reimbursements for all international contractors
- 401k matching for US full-time employees
- $4,000 laptop reimbursement upon starting + additional equipment, co-working, education, meetup and charity budgets when
- No-meeting Wednesdays
- Half days every third Friday of the month to enjoy a long weekend, reduce screen fatigue, and decompress
- Generous time off — 3 week-long company-wide shutdowns per year (Spring, Fall, Winter) so we can all collectively relax together, in addition to paid time off and flex days to look after your wellbeing.
- Flexible parental leave
- Annual team wide off-site (our upcoming is in June 2022!)
- A custom slack emoji, just for you!
Our interview process
- Intro Call (15-30 minutes) with Hiring team
- Interview #1 In Depth Technical Discussion Chat (45 minutes)
- Interview #2 Culture Interview
- Interview #3 Chat with Allison, Head of Product
- Interview #3 Founder Interview
How to prepare for the interview?
- We are a mission driven company. Everyone working on Contra is deeply passionate about what we do. Research people, mission, funding, technology, and have your reasons for wanting to join the organization. We get excited about people who recognize the impact that joining Contra can have in their lives, but don’t glamorize it – the reason we are successful is because we have a high density of effort, talent, ambition and compassion.
- $160k – $185k USD
- Equity Value Range: $72,000 – $180,000 USD
Contra is looking for self-motivated, open-minded, and eager folks to join our growing team.
We’ve put together a pretty special global team — we’re not limited by location, so everyone on our team has unique backgrounds and experiences that have shaped our company culture for the better. Everyone who joins Contra adds another special dimension to that culture, so we’re looking for folks that have an additive mindset, and want to participate in building both a great product, and a great place to work. While past titles, years of experience, and educational opportunities have taught us all valuable lessons, they’re not used as hiring criteria. If you’re motivated by our mission and owning impactful projects, then Contra is the place for you.
If you’ve made it this far, we want to talk to you! Even if you do not think that you meet all of the requirements in the job posting, we really encourage you to take the leap and apply anyway. Surprise yourself! The best is yet to come ✨
Contra is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing its team members with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Contra are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, regardless of race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, pregnancy, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Learn more about Contra
Contra on TikTok (our target audience is Gen Z)
Ben on Twitter (our Co-Founder, CEO)
Gajus on Twitter (our Co-Founder, CTO)