Ethos (201-500 Employees, 224% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes!
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed in Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020. And for exciting news about our growth check out Life-Insurance Startup Ethos Valued at More Than $2.7 Billion. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
We are looking for an ambitious self-starter with a strong quantitative background to dive into large datasets to provide insights and guide decision-making while mentoring other analysts and data scientists. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team in a huge growth area for Ethos. This role will put you in the middle of the action and require you to solve the most complex, interesting challenges of a rapidly-scaling startup. You will work cross-functionally across Marketing, Product, Operations, Sales, Partnerships, and Risk to provide predictive models to aid automated decision making. You will collaborate with leaders, product managers, and engineers to build scalable and robust systems to grow and maintain the powerful data engine that is core to our data-driven approach at Ethos. You will solve challenging problems related to customer and partner retention, fraud detection, product recommendation, and much more.
Our Data Science team specializes in predictive modeling, causal inference, and mathematical optimization. We apply these skills across the business to help delight our customers, fuel our growth, improve operational efficiencies, evaluate risk, and improve life insurance accessibility to protect more families. If you have a proven background in machine learning and enjoy working in an environment that is fast-paced, mission-driven, and impact-oriented, read on and please apply!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and own machine learning models applied to a variety of domains
- Improve the speed and efficiency of our growth by collaborating with Marketing, Product, Operations, Sales, Partnerships, and Risk teams
- Act as a strategic thought partner and be the go-to machine learning expert
- Communicate findings and insights to key stakeholders and leadership team members to take action based on your insights and recommendations
- Collaborate with data engineers to maintain a feature store to leverage across projects
- Collaborate with data, machine learning, and application engineers to put your work in production
- Train and mentor the next generation of data scientists at Ethos
Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced degree in computer science, statistics, machine learning, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in building and deploying machine learning models
- Expertise in gradient boosting
- Expertise in fraud and anomaly detection
- Expertise in deep learning
- Expertise in sequence, time series, and NLP modeling
- Expertise in vector embedding techniques
- Expertise in parallel and efficient hyperparameter tuning
- Expertise in rare event modeling
- Expertise in SQL
- Experience with Python, including pandas, and scikit-learn
- Experience with a scalable machine learning platform
- Experience with ML experimentation platforms
- Familiarity with probabilistic graphical models preferred
- Familiarity with graphical neural networks preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners
- You are stimulated by solving complex problems
- You enjoy being a player-coach – you can balance being an individual contributor early days with leading a team
- You enjoy getting in the weeds but do not lose sight of the bigger picture
- You can punch above your weight when needed but also appreciate that no job is too small, no matter your title!
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.