Marco Polo (51-200 Employees, 43% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Marco Polo's purpose is to help people feel close. It's a new way to stay in touch with people who matter most to you.
Marco Polo is a video chat app created for one simple and significant purpose—to help people feel close.
We’re currently seeking a Senior DevOps Engineer to help us scale out our cloud infrastructure and platform services as we continue to grow. The person in this role will help build and operate the software platform at the foundation of our production environment. They will partner with our client and backend engineering teams to ensure that our applications can be deployed efficiently and operated reliably at scale. A great candidate for this role is someone who excels at building and managing fault-tolerant auto-scaling services and is an expert at distributed cloud infrastructure.
In this position, you will:
- Build cloud infrastructure at petabyte scale:You will play a key role in building the platform to support the product team’s innovation as we broaden the capabilities of Marco Polo. Your software will power a system that handles petabytes of data and millions of users. You’ll have the opportunity to design distributed systems and ensure they operate reliably at large scale.
- Maintain the highest level of site reliability:You’ll be responsible for maintaining the service to a high level of reliability, through rapid triage of production issues, performing regular upgrades, participating in on-call, and by sniffing out potential issues before they affect our users. You’ll sift through logs and root cause problems on client and server.
- Produce solid code: You’ll work with a variety of languages, especially Python and Go. You’ll develop tools to help diagnose problems and automate tasks .You’ll help us raise the bar for the entire team on our code quality and speed.
- Bring best practices and mentor others: As a senior on the team, you’ll learn about and educate others on new technologies and best practices to expand and augment our existing platforms. You’ll provide guidance and mentorship to other team members, in an effort to help up-level the entire team.
Ideally, you have:
- 5+ years of experience in backend server development.
- Professional experience with Python and/or Go.
- Experience with managing infrastructure and deploying applications on AWS or another cloud provider.
- Familiarity with Linux command-line environments.
- Experience with a key-value data store such as Redis.
- A strong foundation in computer science, data structures, algorithms and software design.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, supporting multiple projects at once.
- Strong and effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills to work successfully in a 100% remote team environment.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- We have been doing the remote work thing long before it became necessary. We’re good at it and we’ll make sure you are too!
- We move quickly so you’re constantly learning and things never get stale.
- We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels safe to take risks and think outside of the box.
- We offer competitive compensation, including equity, and we’ve got you covered when it comes to your health (medical, vision, dental), finances, and your family (paid family leave).
A bit about us:
Marco Polo is private video chat for your real relationships – not the entire world. Our video chat app allows you to send a video message at your convenience, and your friend or family member can send back whenever they can. With millions of people already benefiting from this new way of using technology to nurture their relationships, we’re proving that we can reject harmful but profitable business practices and build products that are good for you.
In June 2020, we launched Marco Polo Plus, a subscription plan that offers a premium experience. We aim to be a sustainable business while remaining free in a way that upholds our brand promise to be good for you. Plus delivers on our promise to monetize without ads or selling user data.
Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a belief—lives flourish when people feel close. That common inspiration keeps us aligned with our purpose as a team, which is scattered across 16 states (so far), coast-to-coast throughout North America.
The distance doesn’t slow us down. We keep the engine humming from our homes, co-working spaces, and coffee shops—connecting with daily Zoom calls, and retreats. Whether collaborating through Slack, video calls, or of course Marco Polo, our team knows how to keep connected—it’s what we do best!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.