Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
Financial Planning and Analysis is a highly visible team who use both quantitative and qualitative analysis to plan and evaluate Thumbtack’s financial performance against company goals.
FP&A transforms the Thumbtack strategy and vision into a financial plan using critical analysis, planning and modeling. We forecast revenue, expenses and profitability, set annual financial targets and are critical to Thumbtack’s success.
Reporting to the Director, Business Partnership FP&A, the Senior Financial Analyst, FP&A – Marketing & Sales will be the trusted Finance business partner to Thumbtack’s Marketing, Sales and Services leaders. You will be responsible for providing end-to-end FP&A support to all of our marketing efforts across online and offline marketing channels, and Sales and Support functions. This role will own the forecasting of demand to be in line with changes in marketing spend, and support the budget and forecast cycles for expenses within the Sales and Marketing functions.
This is a highly visible role, working with senior leaders within the Thumbtack Marketing and Sales organization to support setting of top line metrics targets. The candidate will have an in-depth understanding of key financial and operational drivers including Performance Marketing ROAS, ROI, LTV and CAC, and will provide front line analysis to support these.
- Drive the monthly, quarterly and annual Marketing spend forecast and associated demand forecast
- Partner with Sales and Sales Ops to gain insight into key investment activity, supporting key financial analysis such as LTV/CAC
- Partner with Marketing leadership to monitor and report Return on Ad Spend (ROAS), forecast Paid revenue and help set targets for our key DRIs (Directly Responsible Individuals)
- Build positive relationships and effectively communicate insights to partners
- Partner with senior leadership on resource planning and investment proposals
- Provide analysis and insights into variances between actual and expected financial results
- Provide front line support for ad hoc financial analysis requests and inquiries
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field
- 7+ years of FP&A experience, with experience of Marketing ROI tracking, particularly in an online environment
- Excellent financial modeling and analytical skills, using key tools within Excel and G-Suite
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment while maintaining a high level of precision
- Able to translate financial analytics into clear and insightful recommendations for business stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical and system skills
- Experience within a public company environment
- Experience in a two sided Marketplace
- Experience working for a tech company
- Proven ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Financial Planning Systems experience
- SQL Experience
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.