Flamingo (, 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Leave management for people-focused teams
- Company Retreats
- Tech Spend Stipend
- $350 Referral Bonus
- Competitive Salaries
- Choose Your Schedule
- 2+ Years of Experience
- Unlimited Vacation Policy
- Based in Asia or EU time zones
*Get Paid: If you recommend this job to the person that gets hired, we will give you a $350 referral bonus! How will we contact you about giving you your bonus? Tell your referral to list your name and/or email in the “How did you hear about this job?” question. Once they’re hired, we’ll make sure you get paid.
Now Hiring: Remote Senior Full Stack Developer
Hi, my name is David Hehenberger. I’m the founder of Flamingo.
We’re a small team that builds, grows, and operates a portfolio of successful SaaS products, including:
- Fatcat Apps where we build free & paid WordPress plugins that run on ~100k websites.
- Merchant Metrics (acquired in 2016), an analytics dashboard for Amazon sellers.
- LandingCube – our current flagship product, where we make marketing software & landing pages for Amazon sellers.
This job is a chance to grow a dynamic, small product team, while we are in the early stages of building a new product that will delight customers.
At Flamingo, we’re building software that helps remote teams work better together. I’ve worked remotely while traveling the world since 2010 and I’m building a product to “scratch my own itch”.
Our first product is a leave management (=vacation planning) tool. Our goal is to reduce employee burnout and boost employee happiness by making it easy to request leave, and by reminding employees that forgot to take their vacation.
Longer-term, we have a much bigger vision. Covid-19 made it clear that remote work is the future, and I believe there’ll continue to be growing demands for user-friendly tools built from the ground up for remote teams.
I’m a serial entrepreneur with a track record. I’m taking everything I’ve learned in 10 years of running a business and applying it to Flamingo.
This is a chance to help shape & architect a brand new SaaS product while working with an experienced team that has built multiple successful businesses before.
I’m looking for a talented, experienced PHP developer to help build Flamingo. You’ll be working directly with our lead developer and me on building our v1.
Once we launch the v1, you’ll continue working and iterating on Flamingo. We’ll continue to improve the product based on our customer feedback as we scale.
The Flamingo tech stack includes:
- Vue + Tailwind
- Google Cloud
- Slack & Microsoft Teams API
This job is perfect for someone who doesn’t want to be micro-managed. The ideal candidate prefers shipping code over attending meetings.
You will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting on Flamingo. You’ll be managed by a lead dev, who will help make architectural decisions and review your pull requests, but you’ll be expected to build the core functionality of the application by yourself.
You’ll be able to set your own hours – no time tracking, etc. You’ll provide a written report at the end of the day and attend 1-2 weekly phone calls, but most of your time will be spent building.
Examples of what you might be working on:
- Help solve product/UX problems with the product team
- Build various API integrations – Mailgun, Stripe, Discord, etc…
- Google Cloud DevOps tasks
- Implement new features as well as support existing functionality
- Build user interfaces using Vue & Tailwind (you should be able to build a nice-looking UI without pixel perfect mockups)
- Expert PHP development skills
- 2+ years experience developing with the Laravel framework
- Experience with modern JS frameworks (e.g. React, Vue.js, Angular)
- Extensive frontend development experience – you should be able to create something nice looking using Tailwind without being provided pixel-perfect mockups.
- An eye for design (don’t need to be a UI designer, but you should be able to create nice looking, user-friendly frontends, without much guidance)
- Excellent English communication skills (spoken and written)
- Self-motivated and work well independently
- Comfortable working remotely (we don’t have an office)
- Based in Asia or EU time zone
- System administration skills
- Open-source contributions
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
This is a chance to help shape the product direction of a brand new SaaS company. If you have good ideas & opinions, we’ll listen.
- Remote First. We have always been a remote company, since the very start. Working from home has its challenges, but you’ll be surrounded by empathetic folks who have been successfully working from home for many years.
- Company Retreats. As a remote company, it’s super important to get some face time. In 2018 we went to Penang (Malaysia). In early 2020 we had a blast in the Philippines, in December 2020 we went to Phu Quoc (Vietnam). Depending on the Covid situation we hope we’ll be able to meet up again soon. Will you be joining us?
- Location Independent. Work from wherever you’re happiest. All members of our team currently work from their homes. Most of us are currently located in South East Asia.
- Choose Your Schedule. Most companies claim to have flexible hours, but the reality is often very different. We flex our hours for real. As long as you’re getting 6-8 focused hours in per day and your output is good it will work.
- Unlimited Vacation Policy. Take as much time off as you want (within reason).
- Competitive Salaries. The company typically pays salaries that are competitive with the market in which you reside. There are situations that call for higher pay even when living in a region with a lower cost of living, so we’re flexible on this.
- Work-Life Balance. We expect you to pull your weight and ship code, but there won’t be excessive overtime or work on weekends.
- Tech Spend Stipend. We provide a yearly budget for you to spend on hardware & software.
We’re a small team, and your work will have a big impact. Our work environment is second to none – we’re a kind, respectful bunch. You’ll be evaluated based on your performance, not your race, gender, sexual orientation or political believes.
I hope to hear from you.
-David Hehenberger, Founder