FreshBooks (501+ Employees, 47% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
It turns out… unicorns are real! In fact, FreshBooks just became one after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion. And ever since launching in 2003, we’ve been on a steady incline towards one goal: Building easy-to-use accounting software for small business owners. It’s the goal that’s driven us to expand into seven offices, serving customers in over 160 countries. And it’s the goal we’d love for you to be a part of as a member of our global team as we continue our journey.
Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries, with offices in the U.S., Netherlands, Mexico, Germany and Croatia.
Senior Software Engineer
FreshBooks is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will play a hands-on role in driving our mission to build a world-class technology company with a global footprint. You will be instrumental in playing a vital role that impacts the lives of millions of small business owners around the world and directly impact customer experiences and businesses. We are looking for people who thrive in a creative, collaborative and agile development environment.
If this appeals to you, please come and chat with us to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you’ll do in your first twelve months at FreshBooks:
- Build real-world applications that have a meaningful impact on customers
- Make sound decisions even in the absence of complete information, and recognize when to over-engineer and when not to
- Design and develop application technologies that optimize solution operation and minimize maintenance overhead
- Collaborate with full-stack and mobile developers on cross-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to ensure the best web experience for our customers
- Contribute to a large codebase that contains a multitude of customer features
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Ensure quality through automated and exploratory testing
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in web full-stack development
- Mentor others, versus just answering questions – Pairing and mentoring others is an integral part of this level
- Able to make an effective technical or business case for code changes
- Motivates team members towards high-quality work
- Demonstrate passion about building high-quality software that addresses customer needs
- Be a proactive communicator who enjoys working closely with creative and technical peers
- Work in a dynamic Agile based environment
What you have:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- Experience in Python (our core back-end technologies)
- Step up to handle tough issues and display a can-do attitude
- Learn quickly and experiment to find new solutions
- Take on unfamiliar problems and extract lessons and learn from mistakes
- Anticipate the impact of emerging technologies and make adjustments
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Experience writing and working with REST APIs — and by “REST,” we really do mean actual resource-oriented REST, and not RPC using HTTP mechanisms
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
- The ability to balance the desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
- Must reside in a time zone between CDT to ADT
What you’ll love about working here:
- Three-week onboarding that brings you up to speed on our brand, product, and most importantly, our customers. It’s an awesome opportunity to dive in and understand what we’re all about and build your network within the company. Plus, there’s prizes!
- Our ever-expanding, global team
- Amazing growth and mentorship opportunities from a team with a laser-focused mission of shipping extraordinary experiences
- Collaborating remote or hybrid model with a global team
- A work/life balance you can brag to your friends about
- Generous time off – including vacation, personal, volunteer and innovation days
- Health and Wellness benefits, Work from home benefits, Sports benefits
- Learning and development opportunities that are both in-house and external
- Stock options for all full time employees
- And finally, we have fun at work…Want to start a chess team? Awesome. Want to host a homemade-ice-cream-making Zoom night? Whatever your passion is, bring it to FreshBooks, tell others about it, and enjoy what you do every day
Why Join Us
We’re a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in FreshBooks.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or [email protected].