Density (51-200 Employees, 197% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
At Density, we build the most advanced people-sensing system in the world. Density can tell you how many people are in any room in real-time, with very high degrees of reliability and without invading individual privacy. The result of distributing this platform is lower emissions, less waste, better access, safer buildings, and better-designed cities. It is a long-term pursuit and one we could use your help achieving.
Our product is being deployed by many of the world’s most admired brands. What these customers have in common is space. Collectively they own, operate, and occupy billions of square feet of corporate real estate. How the world relates to workspaces and commercial real estate is changing fast, which is why our customers need us now more than ever.
We count over 1 million humans per day. Over the next 18 months, we plan to count 100 million every 24 hours.
That’s where you come in.
Our people counting solution requires sophisticated hardware paired with our analytics platform. This makes our accounting function a bit more complicated than you might find at the average hardware or software company. We source all of our hardware components and assemble our sensors in-house, so there are components to purchase, work in process inventory to track, and cost of goods sold to calculate. Having a precise understanding of our margins is critical as we scale.
To effectively scale that rapidly, we require good data that we can rely on that ensures we have timely and accurate information. The Senior Inventory Accountant is responsible for all areas related to inventory accounting, including cost accounting cost of goods sold (COGS). This is a critical role with exposure to multiple functional areas and reports to the Accounting Manager. In addition to daily and monthly responsibilities, the Senior Inventory Accountant will assist the Accounting team with executing and creating new processes to support our growing organization. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, self-motivated team player with a very strong working knowledge of system processes, internal controls, GAAP, and SOX regulations. The candidate should be comfortable working collaboratively in teams and independently, handle multiple projects at once, and excel when faced with new challenges and problems.
How you’ll make an impact
- Own the inventory function: ensure accurate and complete transactional processing in accordance with company policy and GAAP for all balance sheet and P&L accounts pertaining to inventory.
- Record and analyze monthly inventory transactions to ensure inventory is properly stated at month-end.
- Provide meaningful analysis on financial trends and key metrics for COGS functions, including inventory transactions, gross margin analytics, and variances.
- Oversee inventory management issues (physical counts, inventory movements/errors, etc.)
- Ensure 3-way match reconciliation by partnering with the vendor team to oversee the procurement process, including purchase order creation, item receipts, shortages, rejects, and payment reconciliation
- Assess current accounting policies and procedures; offer scalable recommendations for improvement, and implement approved improvements to meet accounting standards and controls.
- Partner closely with the operations team to review inventory to ensure appropriate accounting, location, reserve, and counts.
- Provide support for year-end financial audits and reporting financial results to management.
Why you want this job
- You don’t mind being hands-on and want to help set the foundation for what will become a well-rounded, best in class accounting team
- You enjoy technical accounting, particularly the complexities associated with sourcing and assembling a hardware product
- You like the startup environment where boundaries between roles sometimes blur
- You like working with good, smart, and humble people
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance with 3-5 years progressive experience, preferably at manufacturing or start-up companies
- Intermediate working knowledge of U.S. GAAP
- Experience with and enthusiasm for building out processes and policies for a growing organization
- Exceptional communication skills; proactive team player with a positive attitude, who is accountable and can thrive under pressure
- You don’t get flustered when plans change – we’re still a small business and like to be nimble
- Netsuite experience is highly preferred
- Experience working at a high-growth startup
- Experience working in a multi-country/currency environment
What we bring:
- A team hailing from places like Apple, LinkedIn, Stripe, Cisco Meraki, Hashi Corp, WeWork, NASA, & beyond.
- $227 million raised from investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, and Upfront Ventures.
- A work environment full of fun, smart, talented, dedicated, and truly kind teammates.
- Our values are be humble, seek feedback, and always solve the fundamental problem. These values are hard to achieve but we aspire to them daily.
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, mental and reproductive health, 401K, equity, Flex Fridays, Remote Friendly, unlimited and mandatory PTO and more.