Owlchemy Labs (51-200 Employees, 113% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Looking to spread your wings?
Join our Google-owned, Austin-based game studio and help us make absurd and highly polished VR for Everyone!
We offer an outstanding fully remote working environment focused on collaboration and personal growth, with a positive work/life balance and excellent benefits.
Owls in this role oversee and contribute to the development of tools and codebase. They design, implement, and iterate on foundational tech, and provide high level guidance on technical decision making.
- Write code to implement systems in production, often with a focus on providing groundwork to support Owlchemy’s overall technical goals
- Maintain and improve the core code in OwlchemyVR, including overseeing contributions from other Owls
- Prototype new features and ideas in early stages of development
- Coordinate with owners/guides to make sure tech is properly interfacing with other disciplines like art and audio to meet project needs
- Write documentation and distribute knowledge about OwlchemyVR and related systems
- Plan and maintain Owlchemy’s long-term technical roadmap
- Follow best practices, development processes, and coding standards
- Work with production to provide estimates, updates on progress, and potential setbacks
- Collaborate with QA to provide technical details about implementation relevant for testing
- Communicate with other Owls to determine requirements for code efforts
- Generate technical implementation plan by identifying technical risks and possible mitigation strategies
- Keep up to date on the latest in development practices for Unity and VR and ensure distribution of that knowledge throughout team
- Assist in growing the engineering team, regarding both hiring new owls and skill/professional growth for existing owls
- Mentor team members through one to one discussions, coding explanations, code reviews, and documentation creation, etc.
- Lead and direct teams of engineers in accomplishing any of the above tasks
- Collaborate with other leads and C-level to form a coherent vision and path to product success
- Expert in Unity development, and strong C# programming skills
- Familiarity with office productivity software, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas
- Ability to make significant technical contributions with a focus on enabling all disciplines to do their best work
- Ability to see dependencies, cascading affordances, and systems-level ramifications of
- Ability to integrate feedback, throw ideas away, and be flexible with multiple iterations
- Strong organizational skills
Required Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience managing teams of engineers and managing cross-discipline collaboration
- 7+ years related job experience, multiple shipped projects
Preferred Education and Experience:
- 10+ years Unity programming experience with multiple shipped projects
- History of experimentation with different tech / tools
- Rapid prototyping environment experience
- Appreciation of puns (or at least the ability to groan at them)
- Owls must be able to use virtual reality headsets but are not expected to own one.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time, work from home, 40-hours per week position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT.
For Owls working outside of the Austin, TX area, travel to Austin may be required 4 to 6 times per year. Additionally, we typically encourage owls to attend a conference annually for personal growth and development.
We care about creating “VR for Everyone” – and that includes creating a welcoming workplace for everyone.
Owlchemy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Other Skills and Responsibilities:
This job description doesn’t cover or contain a comprehensive listing of everything you might do at Owlchemy. As a small team of wildly talented individuals, we encourage career growth, exploration, and the wearing of many hats. As such, roles and responsibilities are collaborative and may change or evolve over time based on our needs and your particular skill set.
- 20 days of vacation to start
- Unlimited sick days
- School loan repayment assistance
- New parent benefits
- Health Care
- Retirement Plan
- Relocation Assistance (should you want to move to Austin, TX!)