"Wikimedia Foundation, Inc." (501+ Employees, 24% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Wikimedia Foundation encourages the development and distribution of free educational content with projects such as Wikipedia.
SENIOR MANAGER, MOVEMENT COMMUNICATIONS
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Senior Manager, Movement Communications to:
- Lead the implementation of our agile movement communications strategy: Help build a consistent narrative and shared movement story that showcases the contributions of the global movement and reflects our work to further the movement’s mission.
- Help to explain the power and value of the movement: Establish connections within and across the movement, encourage the development of beneficial relationships, curate conversations, and support related initiatives by means of an agile movement communications strategy.
- Work to make our movement communications equitable and inclusive: Seize opportunities to increase representational equity by identifying and working collectively to address communication gaps among underrepresented and less vocal groups in the movement. Engage with the parts of our movement that generally have not participated in large-scale or movement-wide conversations.
- Prove that it’s working: Establish metrics to help measure successes and challenges to move us towards equitable and concrete understandings of dissent, agreement, and shared commitment.
- Lead the team: Reporting to the Director of Movement Communications, you will build & lead the team that supports this work.
You are responsible for:
- People Management: Establish operational objectives and work plans for the movement communications team including delegating assignments to movement communications specialists.
- Budget Management: Work closely with the Director of Movement Communications to establish and ensure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements for the team.
- Listening: Strengthen staff communication capabilities and capacity in order to improve understanding of and response to movement needs.
- Storytelling: Tell a shared movement story that showcases the contributions of the global movement and reflects the Foundation’s work to further the movement’s mission.
- Building Trust: Communicate the Foundation’s movement-facing work with context as it relates to the Foundation’s ethos and values – particularly transparency.
- Building Relationships: Develop and implement policies, protocols, and strategic plans to extend and foster healthy relationships between Foundation staff and all of the movement on an ongoing basis.
- Building Awareness: Work closely with other teams in the Communications department to ensure that we build our awareness and that our external communications integrate movement priorities & stories.
- Collaboration: Collaborate stakeholders across the movement to support building an equitable and welcoming atmosphere where many cultures thrive. Work closely with our product & technology departments on rolling out our product roadmap.
Skills and Experience:
- Extensive experience as a people manager in a volunteer movement, a global not-for-profit, community or political organizing, or a related field.
- Experience creating and implementing successful agile communications strategies across multiple channels and platforms with collaborative outcomes.
- Experience managing staff in a distributed workforce.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining strong relationships around the world
- Expertise in balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders across different cultures and timezones.
- Experience in cross-cultural communications, including communicating across multiple languages.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Mission Driven: You believe in the power of inclusive communication and movement building to make free knowledge accessible to everyone.
- Openness and Curiosity: We work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways.
- Resilience: Working together for outcomes, willingness to change course when warranted and motivated by high standards.
- Positivity: Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect.
- Team-oriented: Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
- Intentionally inclusive: Strong personal values related to participation, equity, and diversity in global movements
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Technical experience and an understanding of digital platforms and movements.
- A strong international perspective with experience working in Africa, India, East Asia, the Middle East, or Latin America is highly valued.
- Experience developing programs for emerging markets or audiences with limited access to high-speed internet.
- Experience with crisis communications.
- Familiarity or direct experience with free knowledge communities, the education sector, and/or open source culture.
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.