Solar Monkey (11-50 Employees, 29% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Whilst it is possible to run completely “server less” these days, that isn’t always practical for all applications. Thus we still run a moderate cloud stack on the Google Cloud Platform. As you can see in the description of our stack, we use Hashicorp’s tools for deployment. That means a Consul + Vault cluster, and Nomad to schedule (container) jobs. That actually runs stable without too much maintenance. Most of the work is in improving the experience of other developers, and making it easier for them to do the things they need to do on the operations side.
For example, we use Terraform to control and set up our resources. However that doesn’t mean that it is clear for everyone what to use and how to tie that together. Modularizing and documenting is key here. Also, we want to enable continuous integration, so everyone can see what the effect would be of their changes, without giving everyone the proverbial keys to the kingdom.
The rest of the team will look at you for advice on how to deploy their service, how to keep sight on its metrics and errors. Note that you are probably the one with the most knowledge, we do rotate on-call duties with the whole team.
The envisioned salary range for this position is €55-80k per year (excluding 8% holiday pay), depending on experience. Besides that we offer Stock Appreciation Rights and a 4% learning budget. You’ll get an Apple Macbook Pro (M1 or M2!) to work on.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who likes creating stability and efficiency in a cloud environment. Someone who is versatile at the shell to debug weird network issues, but who hates snowflakes. Someone who likes developing tools that are used by other developers, and makes their lives easier. Someone who masters our cloud.
- You have experience managing a cloud platform (GCP/AWS/OpenStack) from code.
- You are proficient in Python (or another server-side language like Go or Ruby, and willing to learn Python).
- You can design a “stack” for a new service so it is scalable and trustworthy.
- You have experience with container based deployment.
- You are able to work with a diverse group of people. You’re not a rock star or code-ninja, you’re a human, of some form .
- You can clearly outline your thoughts about a technical solution in written form (and diagrams are always a bonus!)
- You actively engage with others to optimize processes and reduce bottlenecks.
- You are able to pick up new things quickly.
- You want to work 32 to 40 hours a week.
- You have experience with Hashicorp’s Consul, Vault & Nomad.
- You have experience with Terraform.
The application process
Please through the button on the right and let us know:
- Who you are.
- Why you? What will you bring to Solar Monkey?
- Why this job post and not another?
- What relevant (for us) work you have done. Preferably something you are excited about.
Please limit it to 500 words or so.
If your application is clear and seems to match what we have in mind, we will call you for a short (20m) phone call. If it isn’t, we will let you know by email, if possible with some helpful feedback about the reason of rejection.
1 hour interview
This is a remote interview with two developers from our side. We will discuss your background and experience and leave some room for questions from your side.
In preparation for the final interview we ask you shortly describe a service or solution you recently architected and built and send that to us.
2 hour interview
In this (real-life or remote) session we will discuss the problem you tackled earlier, and dive into how you solved it, why you solved it that way and what you have learned from it.