Aiven (201-500 Employees, 370% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Aiven is a hypergrowth Platform-as-a-Service company offering the best in open-source and data technologies on multiple cloud platforms.
Headquartered in Helsinki with hubs in Berlin, Boston, Paris, Sydney, Singapore, Tokyo and Toronto, Aiven provides managed open-source data technologies, such as PostgreSQL, Apache Kafka and M3, on all major clouds.
In 2022, we raised Series D funding of $210M to fuel our global expansion, the comprehensiveness of our platform and to focus on new programs in sustainability and diversity in tech. This brings us to over $400M in funding and a new valuation of $3 billion.
Open source is at our core. We compensate our employees who contribute to open source outside of their daily work with Aiven and we have set up an Open-Source Program Office (OSPO), to actively focus on giving back to the open-source community.
Aiven’s mission is to enable customers to drive business results from open source, transforming their businesses. We love to operate our favorite tools at scale and empower our customers, in over 60 countries, to do great work.
We live our values of courage, openness and ownership every day, and continually strive to ensure that every Aivener is empowered to contribute creatively and meaningfully, in a work environment where they have the tools to succeed and the comfort and support to be themselves.
We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers at all levels to work on our cloud operations platform, turning the best open-source technologies into frustration-free cloud services.
You will be part of a team working on the Aiven cloud platform, improving its scalability, reliability, observability and ensuring the systems are able to scale with our rapidly-growing, global customer base. This team champions our platform’s reliability: we apply our experience running the platform to make it more resilient, both for ourselves, and for our customers. On-call duties are involved, and we use a follow-the-sun model so that on-call duties are not overnight. Depending on your interests, you may also participate in new feature development and help extend our product portfolio of open-source data technologies.
We are looking for candidates that have skills in either software development with Python, or in Linux systems administration. Long-term success in this role does require both software engineering and Linux systems administration skills; we expect candidates to have the basics of both, and will help them develop their skills. Also critical to the role are a debugging mindset and analytical problem-solving skills — we have the mandate to dive into our codebase and fix bugs in the normal course of events.
This role is aimed at candidates who are at a Senior level of experience. We actively grow our employees’ skills to help them reach the next level. Please don’t hesitate to apply even if you are unsure if your experience matches — we will adjust accordingly.
How we roll
Our philosophy is to automate everything and to avoid repetitive manual work. Our own backend systems are mostly implemented in Python. We offer and operate the following complex open-source database and data management systems on behalf of our customers: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Kafka, Flink, M3, OpenSearch, Cassandra, Redis, InfluxDB, and Grafana. The Aiven platform automates the bootstrapping and maintenance of these technologies across various cloud providers, including AWS, Azure, GCP, and several others. In true startup fashion, Aiven itself runs on the Aiven platform. Joining Aiven is a fantastic learning opportunity to grow your skills and gain experience with these exciting and in-demand technologies.
What we offer…
- Growth opportunities — our SRE team operates all of our services on nearly all of our platforms, and we support team members becoming subject-matter experts on one or more of the services we provide
- Work with all of the major cloud providers, and many smaller ones as well
- Learn how services behave and are kept running and available, regardless of what kind of problems are thrown at them
- Master the development and operation of large-scale cloud services
- Work with Open-Source technologies, and contribute back to the huge global community that allows companies like Aiven to exist
- Learn from colleagues who are world-class in their domain
- A pragmatic, evidence-driven workplace
Key skills for success in this role include:
- Hands-on experience operating one or more of the following: Apache Kafka, Apache Cassandra, Apache ZooKeeper, PostgreSQL, MySQL, or Opensearch/Elasticsearch. We do not require that you have experience with all of them!
- Experience in systems automation
- Skills in both, but demonstrable expertise in
- Software development in Python
- Linux systems administration and networking
What we value:
- Good understanding of IT security
- Distributed systems knowledge
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Experience in writing technical blog posts and giving technical presentations
You will be part of a highly-skilled, tight-knit and diverse team, making your contribution essential to what is becoming a truly unique success story. If you’re interested, send us your application.
- A dynamic startup environment with a unique culture being headquartered in Helsinki, Finland, and a rapidly growing, international business
- A technical team of very experienced experts in their field of Backend/Frontend Development, Support Engineering, Product Management
- Participation in our employee stock option plan
- High degree of autonomy
- Working with international, highly engaged colleagues
- Flat hierarchy and open communication
- Get things done attitude
- Attractive health insurance plans (medical, dental, vision) through BlueCross BlueShield
Aiven Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, veteran status, gender identification, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.