Contra.com (51-200 Employees, 431% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Contra is an Independent-first community and commission-free hiring platform empowering the future of work. We match Independents with flexible opportunities, and Clients with the perfect Independent for any project — from content creation to coding. We strongly believe that independence isn’t just a gig, it’s a way of life.
Welcome to Contra! We’re an empathetic, kind, and humble team looking for a Senior Software Engineer in Test to join us in building the Future of Work and the best community for independents. This is a role on our small-but-mighty QA team, so this is a real opportunity to build out the foundation, standards, and best-practices for automation engineering at Contra. You have strong software engineering fundamentals in our stack (NodeJS, TypeScript, Cypress), and broad experience testing across application boundaries. In your role, you will lead us into the future of automated testing at Contra.
We believe QA is as much a mindset as it is a role. We test in production and we believe that fast, reliable tests and a great developer experience do more to encourage others to raise the bar on quality than anything else. If these values resonate with your own, we’d love to talk to you.
How you’ll add value at Contra
- Write different kinds of automated tests (unit, integration, end-to-end, load, etc.) in TypeScript for different types of applications, across application boundaries (web, mobile, server-side, etc.)
- Lead test automation projects in a highly collaborative environment
- Establish QA best practices, methodologies, and processes
- Use CI/CD in collaboration with DevOps to improve how we test and deliver software
- Improve our ability to safely test in production
- Participate in all parts of the product development process
- Teach and mentor others to enable them to deliver a higher quality product from the start
You’ll be successful here if you
- Mission driven. Our mission truly resonates with you and you would like to be a part of what we are building together at Contra!
- A dedicated team player. You thrive in a collaborative, remote-only environment and you are comfortable with 8am-12 pm PST core hours!
- Passionate about learning. Share a genuine curiosity for learning, alway eager to pick up new skills. We don’t expect everyone to know everything but you learn quickly!
- Goal oriented. Understand what you need to do in order to achieve your goals without needing all of the bells and whistles.
- Committed to trying. Have the resilience and willingness to try and try again even if you fail after a few attempts!
- Ambitious attitude. You bring a strong work ethic and contagious energy to your team as we work towards our North Star.
- Path Paver. Joining a startup you enjoy taking ownership, building out processes and documentation that might not exist to share with your team members.
- Backend: NodeJS, GraphQL, GraphQL Helix, Redis, PostgreSQL
- DevOps: ArgoCD, Docker, GitHub, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes
- Frontend: React, Suspense, Relay, Stitches, Three.js, react-three-fiber, GLSL shaders, Cypress
You will love Contra for our
- Remote-only culture that is here to stay
- 100% health coverage for US full-time employees, and health reimbursements for all international contractors
- 401k matching for US full-time employees
- $4,000 laptop reimbursement upon starting + additional equipment, co-working, education, meetup and charity budgets when
- No-meeting Wednesdays
- Half days every third Friday of the month to enjoy a long weekend, reduce screen fatigue, and decompress
- Generous time off — 3 week-long company-wide shutdowns per year (Spring, Fall, Winter) so we can all collectively relax together, in addition to paid time off and flex days to look after your wellbeing.
- Flexible parental leave
- Annual team wide off-site (our upcoming is in June 2022!)
- A custom slack emoji, just for you!
Our interview process
- Intro call (15-30 minutes)
- Complete a Technical assessment
- Technical interview (30-45 minutes)
- Non-technical (culture) interview (30-45 minutes)
- Strengths-based technical interview (30-45 minutes)
- High-level technical interview with CTO & VP of Engineering (30-45 minutes)
Salary + Equity Range
- $130k – $155k USD
- Equity Value Range: $72k – $180k USD
Contra is looking for self-motivated, open-minded, and eager folks to join our growing team.
We’ve put together a pretty special global team — we’re not limited by location, so everyone on our team has unique backgrounds and experiences that have shaped our company culture for the better. Everyone who joins Contra adds another special dimension to that culture, so we’re looking for folks that have an additive mindset, and want to participate in building both a great product, and a great place to work. While past titles, years of experience, and educational opportunities have taught us all valuable lessons, they’re not used as hiring criteria. If you’re motivated by our mission and owning impactful projects, then Contra is the place for you.
If you’ve made it this far, we want to talk to you! Even if you do not think that you meet all of the requirements in the job posting, we really encourage you to take the leap and apply anyway. Surprise yourself! The best is yet to come ✨
Contra is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing its team members with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Contra are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, regardless of race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, pregnancy, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Learn more about Contra
Contra on TikTok (our target audience is Gen Z)
Ben on Twitter (our Co-Founder, CEO)
Gajus on Twitter (our Co-Founder, CTO)