Square (501+ Employees, 60% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Frameworks Team, you would join a team responsible for providing service frameworks—the shared code every app uses—for our backend applications. These include integrations for feature flags, logging, metrics, service-to-service communication (RPC & REST), admin user interfaces, cron jobs, databases, job queues, leader election, and more. Engineering teams across Square rely upon these offerings to rapidly develop new features, safely release to production, and monitor analytics gathered from their applications. This team reports into the Developer Empowerment organization which ensures software development at Square is not only fast and efficient, but delightful.
- Identify, scope, and lead complex, projects with wide impact across the company
- Maintain and improve service frameworks used by Ruby programmers to build back-end services
- Build or integrate frameworks enabling experimentation and safe release of new features into applications
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Operate and enhance highly scalable microservices consumed by millions of devices across several international markets
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the company including product, design, legal, support, and other engineering teams
- Provide design reviews for engineering teams across Square working with our frameworks
- Ability to break down complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Demonstrated collaboration with co-workers on cross-functional teams and in other locations
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Ruby
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Ruby, Go
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers, JSON
- MySQL, DynamoDB, Redis
- Kubernetes, YAML, Terraform
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. So we’re building easy tools to empower and enrich people. Tools that shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—because we believe in fair and square. We started with a little white card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, our Cash app lets people send money instantly, and we’re building easy tools for customers, too. We’re empowering the electrician to send invoices, setting up the food truck with a delivery option, helping the clothing boutique pay its employees, and giving the coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.