BridgeComm (11-50 Employees, N/A 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
The Senior Space Systems Engineer will be a key part of the engineering team in supporting communication system architecture and design decisions for BridgeComm’s Satellite Optical Communications Link products. The Systems Engineer will assist the Chief Systems Engineer in guiding the architectural direction for Optical Wireless Communication (OWC) systems development, ensuring customer requirements are being satisfied while aligning the design to our overall product line technology road map; this includes all parts of the communications system.
The Systems Engineer will be highly knowledgeable of systems engineering processes and standards, as well as the application of those standards, to system development for the space environment. This includes an understanding of end-to-end space systems architecture, spacecraft integration, interface definition, the creation of Interface Control Documents (ICD’s) that encompass software, configurable items, messaging, timing, physical jitter, and data throughput management. In addition, the Systems Engineer will have solid understanding of digital architecture, qualification, reliability, and availability in the low earth orbit space environment. They will work with engineering to develop innovative solutions, and program management to support reporting needs.
Work Location: Denver, Colorado or Remote – Hybrid work environment
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be motivated by problem solving and development of the range of solutions, over the system development lifecycle,
- Achieving detailed understanding of multiple systems, designs, operations, and classifications to create designs and Concepts of Operations (CONOPs) recommendations for Optical Communications systems
- Developing and maintaining in-depth knowledge of U.S. Space Domain Awareness (SDA) OWC capabilities and requirements, as well as for commercial internet service provider mega-constellations.
- Identifying gaps and prioritizing recommendations to achieve program objectives
- Contributing to CONOPs development for new capabilities that incorporate customer intent and coordinate them across the affected organizations.
- Author, review, and coordinate empirical data collects and documents to facilitate system design decision making.
- Understanding complex modeling, simulation, and analysis, and conducting technical trades to create actionable solutions for design leads, program managers, and senior executives.
- Participating and representing the company in various customer meetings and support programmatic and technical reviews (e.g., SRR, PDR, CDR, etc.) to provide technical recommendations and risk assessments.
- Repeated use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques.
- Supporting the development and managing the technical risk registers and developing any required mitigation plans for all key product technical risks.
- Facilitate capture of engineering lessons learned and ensure processes and design guidance tailored from industry best practices and key program learning.
- Supporting the configuration management and control of product design BOMs and relevant technical data.
- Actively engage in the development and continuous improvement of engineering processes.
Required Experience & Skills:
- Technical experience in designing systems for Space applications.
- Proven experience in core systems engineering and analysis disciplines and processes, including IEEE/NASA standards for requirements writing and management.
- Knowledge in creating System ConOps, use cases and requirement decomposition to support design efforts and verification.
- Knowledgeable of engineering principles and tools including mechanical CAD models, software development, electrical schematics, interface control documents (thermal, mechanical, electrical, software, etc.), environmental technical impacts on product design, development and testing, and system architecture design.
- Knowledge with DOORs (or similar) and MBSE practices.
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Proficiency with MagicDraw MBSE modeling software
- Effective presentation skills, both content creation and presentation of materials.
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and make objective, defendable work products with the information at hand, in a timely manner.
- Track record of independent work and self-motivation.
- Experience with ISO 9001, DoD, or equivalent work environment
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in space systems engineering
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field. M.S. preferred.
Employee and Team Culture Competencies
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Schedule Consciousness – Works within approved timelines; develops and implements time saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork – Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $125,000 – $145,000 annually (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance – 100% of premiums covered by company
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Life insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Employee Stock Plan
- Paid holidays, vacation & sick leave
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible work hours (Healthy work life balance)
- Hybrid remote work location
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., or protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
- All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other protected factor.