Digital Ocean / DigitalOcean (501+ Employees, 60% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are inspired to make technology accessible to everyone by teaching others about cloud infrastructure and software development.
The Community Developer Education team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the broader developer community by creating approachable, high-quality learning resources on a variety of cloud computing, open-source, and software engineering topics. All members of the Developer Education team are united by an interest in helping developers, learning deeply about technology, and creating the most useful educational materials possible. We are growing and are looking to bring in new teammates eager to help us expand and improve our library of technical tutorials to maximize their value to our community.
The Senior Technical Writer – Cloud Developer will play an integral role in creating educational resources for DigitalOcean’s Community site by researching and identifying relevant topics, developing curricula, writing tutorials, and staying up-to-date with cloud technologies and trends. Additionally, the Senior Technical Writer – Cloud Developer will also participate in shared team tasks, such as peer reviewing team content, updating existing tutorials, participating in content sprints, and using internal and external data to drive content strategy. Ideal candidates will possess deep expertise in cloud-native infrastructure and an interest in growing their technical skillset as our content needs evolve.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Researching, developing, and writing tutorials on cloud-native technologies and practices using DigitalOcean’s Technical Writing Guidelines. You should be comfortable writing and learning about topics like containers and container orchestration, cloud security, networking, monitoring, deployment, microservices, APIs, and data storage.
- Developing curricula on cloud-native topics to provide in-depth, long-form learning experiences for the developer community.
- Identifying timely and relevant educational topics by staying up to date with emerging trends in cloud-native development and using internal and external data sources to assess developer interest.
- Collaborating with team members and other teams in Marketing to maximize the impact of our educational content and ensure it’s aligned with broader departmental goals.
- Contributing to Developer Education team tasks such as maintaining the Community site’s library of tutorials and participating in content sprints on a wide range of technical topics.
- Participating in the Developer Education peer review process by providing and accepting feedback to ensure content meets our high standards.
What You’ll Add to DigitalOcean:
- A deep understanding of cloud-native technologies and concepts and an ability to organize this knowledge into educational content to help developers succeed.
- Professional experience in technical writing for cloud developers. Please share writing samples in your application that demonstrate your expertise in this area. We are especially interested in candidates who have experience in curriculum design and/or developing interactive learning experiences for developers.
- Experience in cloud development and an empathetic understanding of the challenges and opportunities that come with the territory.
- A data-driven approach to evaluating the business impact of your work, and a commitment to making sure your efforts contribute to the overarching goals of the business.
- A positive, growth-oriented mindset and interest in collaborating with colleagues and contributing to a positive team culture.
- A capacity to research and learn new technical topics independently.
- A strong command of the English language and an ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, accessible prose.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We reward our employees. The salary range for this position is based on relevant years of experience and skills. Employees may qualify for a bonus in addition to base salary; bonus amounts are determined based on company and individual performance. We also provide equity compensation to eligible employees including grants of equity upon hire and the option to participate in our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging our teams and employees to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship and other internal programs. We provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your well-being. In addition to cash and equity compensation, we also offer employees a competitive array of benefits. In the United States, these include health insurance, unlimited vacation, retirement benefits, a generous parental leave program, and additional resources to support employees’ overall well-being. While the philosophy around our benefits is the same worldwide, specific benefits may vary in other countries due to local regulations and preferences.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This is a remote role
For all CO residents, please click here