SourceGraph (51-200 Employees, 641% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Sourcegraph makes code search universal so developers can work on solving problems.
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $125M Series D led by Andreessen Horowitz has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
As a software engineer in the cloud team, you will play a key role in scaling the core foundations of Sourcegraph products to meet the requirements of the largest enterprise customers. You will also help us make Sourcegraph more accessible to individual developers and organizations of any size by bringing private code to Sourcegraph Cloud.
The Cloud team has a broad area of ownership within our engineering organization. We are responsible for repository management, authorization and authentication, database storage, and access management. We are building a new cloud SaaS product while supporting and scaling our successful enterprise business on a self-hosted deployment model. In addition, other product engineering teams within Sourcegraph depend on us and our contributions to the internal developer experience.
We plan to significantly grow the team in the upcoming months, which will allow us to staff multiple highly focused teams, each with a clear mission and vision. In the short term, we will split into two focus groups — one focusing on building our cloud SaaS product, the other securing the growing needs of our enterprise on-premise customers and scaling the core foundations of repository management.
This role gives you the opportunity to solve complex and challenging problems for our customers. You will also have a meaningful impact on future organization structure, product and engineering process, and Sourcegraph development experiences.
Within one month:
- You will get onboarded into the Sourcegraph architecture, tooling, and development workflow.
- You will build a solid understanding of the team’s areas of ownership, technical challenges, and problems we solve for our customers. You will know how all of them align with the top-level company goals.
- You will contribute to the team goals and deliverables by shipping new features, debugging issues, and fixing bugs.
Within three months:
- You will start leading initiatives that contribute to the team goals through discovery and delivery phases, collaborate directly with product and design partners, other engineering teams, and non-technical stakeholders from different departments.
- You will participate in the team’s on-call and support rotation.
- You will actively contribute to the team’s technical discussions and architecture designs and help your team grow technical and non-technical skills.
Within six months:
- You will actively contribute to defining a long-term technical vision and strategy for new product development, scaling existing services, and managing technical debt. These plans will consist of multiple smaller milestones, which you will deliver with your team in chunks.
- You will collaborate with your engineering peers on identifying and solving different technical and organizational challenges in a rapidly growing engineering organization.
You are a software engineer with the skills and proven experience in building software and services at scale, with distributed systems complexities and challenges. You are aligned with and willing to contribute to our values. You enjoy working on challenging problems and care deeply about the product’s end-user experience.
- You are proficient in Go, or have a solid foundation in other strongly-typed programming languages and are keen on getting up to speed with Go in your first months at Sourcegraph.
- You are passionate about building highly reliable, secure, maintainable, and scalable systems.
- You tend to deliver work incrementally to get feedback and iterate on your solutions.
- You communicate well, accept and incorporate feedback from others, and are happy to work on features as well as less-glamorous (but still critical) tasks.
- You enjoy working on highly collaborative, dynamic, and remote teams in a startup environment.
Nice to haves:
- You have experience with repository management at scale using Git, Perforce, CVS, or other version control systems.
- You have experience with relational databases such as Postgres, including query optimization and performance tuning.
- You have experience with building SaaS products.
- You have experience in identity and access management space.
- You have experience with building secure, multi-tenant cloud applications.
Interview process [5 hour total interview]
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen with our Recruiting team.
- [1 hr] Hiring Manager interview with Rafal Leszczynski, Engineering Manager for the Core Application team
- [3 hr] “Onsite Interview”
- [1 hr] Technical Interview: Coding Skills skills with members on our engineering team
- [1 hr] Technical Interview: Architecture with members of our engineering team
- [1 hr] Cross-functional Team Collaboration interview with members of our product, design and engineering team
- [30 min] Final interview with Bill Creager, Director of Platform and Infrastructure organization
- We make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.