Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As a Software Platform Product Manager with Square, you manage the roadmap, overall business impact, and customer success of our Custom Square Android Platform. You will identify new product opportunities, translate those opportunities into product requirements and work with best-in-class design, engineering, and manufacturing teams to turn those ideas into new features and products. You will continuously improve your product through a deep understanding of our customers, competitors, and our changing landscape. Finally, you will partner with product marketing to ensure your product is getting to the right customers. You will report into our Product Management lead.
Role Location: You and your direct team will be based across the Pacific and Eastern time zones. This role is open to all people who can be effective partners with this team, including sharing typical working hours.
- Develop a clear understanding who is deciding to use your product, why they selected it, what gaps it has and what aspects are most important to your users through regular conversations with our sellers.
- Have a clear understanding of the impact of your product on the main customer segments and the business impact of your platform to Square, including overall product P&L, unit economics, and payback.
- Maintain a detailed and prioritized roadmap for the next 12 months while defining the strategic direction of your platform over the next 2-3 years.
- Partner with Engineering teams and develop buy-in, including partnership in sprint planning and backlog grooming.
- Collaborate across organizations to ensure dependencies are prioritized and there is clear communication to and from partner teams on key changes/features/etc.
- Design product Alpha/Beta programs and serve as the first line of triage for new field product issues for these programs.
- Be the primary point of contact for all aspects of product features and troubleshooting.
- Provide customer value and business value context for sprint planning, work prioritization, and financial / business / operational decisions.
- Be the cross-functional aggregator / decision driver when a cross-functional decision’s primary impact is to the business performance or customer experience of a product.
- 5+ years of software product management experience or equivalent experience
- Experience with and deep expertise building platforms, specifically:
- Experience with mobile development, especially Android and (bonus) Android Open Source Project.
- Experience working with quality systems teams, build and release processes and collaborating with and influencing these teams for product rollouts and launches.
- An understanding of software integrations / APIs with embedded software and hardware.
- Experience using all of the above to develop technically leaning PRDs as well as be able to converse and empathise with engineering design decisions.
- Experience leading the delivery of products / features / projects which have a high degree of cross-functional complexity and integration.
- A track record of shipping and iterating on successful consumer or small business products.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.