Moz is looking for a talented Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Collection team. We design and run distributed data pipelines to provide high-quality, business critical data in a timely and cost-effective manner. For example, our team operates a system that retrieves and processes over 400 million search engine results pages (SERPs) every month.
Diversity & Inclusivity: Moz is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. It’s our mission and promise to interview a diverse and representative slate of candidates before making an offer for our open roles.
What You’ll Do
- Work with the team to design and deliver new functionality in our distributed data collection services.
- Through research and evaluation, improve and evolve our distributed systems to be more reliable, faster, and cost efficient.
- Manage our services in Amazon Web Services (AWS) and other systems, with a focus on Infrastructure as Code (IaC) in Terraform.
- Contribute to the team’s roadmap and ensure progress towards architectural excellence for our services as well as steady reduction in technical debt.
- Provide mentorship for less experienced developers on the team and foster an environment for the team to write the best code we can.
Experience We Want to See
- This is a Senior role. While we’re not big on years of experience you should have been in the industry long enough that you’re writing production-ready code every day. You’re someone who seeks out and follows best practices and spreads them throughout an organization.
- Proficiency with both typed and dynamic languages, we work in Ruby and Scala
- Experience maintaining production systems, responding to bugs/outages and managing uptime in an AWS environment.
- Time in a role with operational responsibilities, e.g., monitoring, instrumentation, operations, SDET, managing servers/containers, deployment.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) principles including experience with Terraform.
Moz is the most trusted authority in online search with powerful SEO and Local Search platforms to help marketers improve the position of their brands, business locations and competitive rank in search results. Moz’s platforms are powered by world-class quality data, both robust and fresh enough to serve as the foundation upon which crucial business decisions are made.
Some reasons why you’d want to work with us:
- You want to play a big part in a small but profitable company who are industry leaders.
- You do your best in a setting where excellent work is what’s valued—not face time (a good work-life balance is just how we do things!)
- You value authenticity and a work environment that values who you are and what you can do.
- You’re looking for a big challenge that involves lots of variety, collaboration, inventiveness, and on your toes thinking.
- You want to work alongside people who are passionate, friendly, and helpful.
Our benefits include:
- A strong commitment to work-life balance. We’re big believers in vacations and provide a US$3,000 per calendar year vacation expense reimbursement for all employees.
- Employer match contributions on retirement plans.
- Personal career development including 10 face to face career coaching sessions a year.
- 100% match on charitable contributions up to $5,000/year.