Square (501+ Employees, 60% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Cash App’s Financial Services Product Platform is a brand new team that is building shared systems which will power all our financial services’ products (Lending, Banking, Instant Paycheck, Investing, etc). We are looking for a Staff Backend Engineer to be one of the founding members of the team! Someone who enjoys designing and building generic and reusable systems needed to unlock the functionality and scale of our product offerings. As a founding member you will also work closely with all product teams across financial services, providing guidance and promoting proper cross product functional re-usability.
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to scope, design, and build new products & features
- Work on impactful, multi-team projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Lead important technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the company
- Hold your teammates—and yourself—to high engineering standards
- Leverage your experience and knowledge to grow your teammates’ technical breadth and depth through direct coaching and mentoring
- Have an interest in Financial Technologies
- Think about how you would build a bank from 0->1?
- Wonder about what goes on behind the scenes in lending?
- 8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Experience leading and executing delivery projects on time while maintaining a high-quality bar
- Interest in understanding and debugging complex systems with many moving parts across multiple teams and cross-functional partners
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity
- An interest in working on a product that impacts people/businesses directly
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- OkHttp, Jetty, JUnit, and Guice
- Hibernate, MySQL, DynamoDB
- Kafka, events, microservices
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFx
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. So we’re building easy tools to empower and enrich people. Tools that shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it—because we believe in fair and square. We started with a little white card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, our Cash app lets people send money instantly, and we’re building easy tools for customers, too. We’re empowering the electrician to send invoices, setting up the food truck with a delivery option, helping the clothing boutique pay its employees, and giving the coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.