BuzzFeed (501+ Employees, 5% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We’ll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
The Infrastructure group is responsible for continually evolving BuzzFeed’s tech platform and its engineering best practices.
We’re looking for an engineer who is passionate about working as part of a distributed team, and finds excitement in helping to grow and further develop the tech platform used daily by all of our engineers. Whether you’re looking for an opportunity to gain more leadership experience, or hone your technical skills, this role provides the flexibility for both.
- Work through the entire software development lifecycle of projects including system architecture, implementation, testing, deployment, and subsequent fixes and improvements.
- Have the opportunity to reach across the entire infrastructure stack at BuzzFeed, working across a range of areas to solve new engineering problems.
- Develop and improve existing code structure and architecture in service of testability and maintainability.
- Contribute to and lead technical projects, working with engineers at all levels in a passionate and empathetic manner.
- Collaborate with and work through others, lifting the skills and expertise of those around you.
- Serve as a resource and/or mentor to other engineers, providing thoughtful, constructive feedback that is sensitive to the individual needs and perspectives of other employees.
- Experience building scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- You value testing, instrumenting, and documenting your work.
- Understanding of the importance of an inclusive work environment where every employee can be their true self.
- You are comfortable with languages like Python or Go.
- Value quality of work over quantity. Outcome over output.
- Expertise building PaaS tooling is not required. However, if you haven’t worked on a platform team in the past, you should have strong opinions on how to build scalable distributed systems.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.