Our health system is broken, and it’s a huge problem. Costs are rising out of control while the patient experience gets worse. At Sana, we’re passionate about fixing this problem by bringing accessible and affordable health plans to small and medium businesses. We’ve built an innovative team with top talent from across the health insurance and tech industries to create engaging, modern plans for our clients. This allows our customers to offer competitive benefits packages while paying an average of 20% less than traditional plans.
We are seeking an innovative, skilled, and enthusiastic Stop Loss Actuary to join our growing Pricing & Underwriting team. This dynamic, high energy team works with Sana’s other functions to generate pricing for new business, renewals, and provides valuable reporting and analytics. This individual will support the insurance tools and financial arrangements that Sana uses to provide coverage to its customers, working with external carriers, reinsurers, brokers, insurance captives, and Sana’s internal underwriting team. The ideal candidate will have passion for the healthcare space, and will use their knowledge of data analytics and predictive modeling to help engineer the best outcomes for Sana’s members and customers.
This person should demonstrate the strong interpersonal skills needed to learn about and connect with a wide variety of individuals. Understanding the needs of other teams, and the way they work with Sana’s products, will be crucial to producing accurate pricing assumptions. Sana is a remote-first company with roots in Austin, TX. We use modern applications and communication tools to operate seamlessly across time zones on a day-to-day basis.
This individual should have achieved, or be pursuing, actuarial credentials from the Society of Actuaries and American Academy of Actuaries. A student program and exam support will be provided for individuals still pursuing actuarial designations, subject to Sana’s Actuarial Program Guidelines.
What you will do
- Create, maintain, and train others on tools for insurance pricing, analysis, and reporting
- Develop models to analyze and make projections about Sana’s pricing and performance
- Collaborate with Sana’s engineering team to ensure that pricing applications, databases, and data tools are sufficient to support Sana’s needs
- Calculate and update Sana’s pricing assumptions, collaborating with stakeholders to ensure that they understand the impact of changes to these assumptions
- Perform regular reviews of and updates to Sana’s rate manual
- Respond to ad hoc data requests from external partners and parties
- Drive innovation in Sana’s predictive modeling and data analysis tools and methods
- Be willing to enthusiastically jump in to support Sana’s underwriting team and carry out quoting and experience rating processes as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an actuarial, mathematics, or quantitative field
- Proficient in SQL, Excel, and at least one language used in data science applications: Python, R, SAS, etc.
- 3-5 years of actuarial experience, preferably in a health-related field
- Experience in insurance pricing, including development of rate manuals or pricing tools
- Ability to understand the reporting needs of external parties and produce meaningful reporting form disparate data sets
- Ability to understand the analytical needs of other departments and build the tools necessary to meet those needs
- Affinity for remote work and ability to build positive working relationships over remote communication tools
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to create or edit formal contract language
- Entrepreneurial, innovative, self-directed, and excited to build something from scratch
- Values-oriented. You care about making our healthcare system work better for people and business owners.
- Comfortable with change. We are a startup and need people who are OK doing things outside of their traditional job description.
- Comfortable with modern web applications. We are building our software in-house and you will be a key constituent in its development.
- Stock options in rapidly scaling startup
- Actuarial program
- Flexible vacation
- Medical, dental, and vision Insurance
- 401(k) and HSA plans
- Parental leave
- Remote worker stipend
- Wellness program
- Opportunity for career growth
- Dynamic start-up environment
Sana is a modern health plan solution for small and medium businesses. We use a more efficient financing structure and integrated technology solutions to cut out wasteful spending and get members access to better quality care at lower cost. Founded in 2017, we are an experienced team of engineers, designers and health system operators. We have the financial backing of Silicon Valley venture firms and innovative reinsurance partners. If you are excited about building something new and being a part of fixing our broken healthcare system from the inside, please reach out!
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.