SourceGraph (201-500 Employees, 638% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a particular time-zone preference for this role.
Why this job is exciting
We strive to make Sourcegraph the best company where exceptionally talented people can thrive. As a member of the quickly scaling Tech Ops team at Sourcegraph, you will have more responsibility, upside, and growth potential than anywhere else otherwise comparable. You will manage major proactive strategic activities as well as respond to reactive day-to-day tactical requests with the goal of ultimately owning aspects of the IT function.
The Tech Ops team helps implement, build, integrate, upgrade, and maintain all of our enterprise and internal applications. Tech Ops empowers the rest of the business to reach their goals by owning the systems that they rely on every day. We are looking for an experienced IT professional to support a remarkable high agency all-remote team. If you join us, we know you’ll make a big impact! Here’s what we’re thinking…
Within one month:
- You have started building a trusting relationship with your teammates and peers
- You understand the projects that Tech Ops is working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations
- You are already identifying areas the are in need of further automation
- You are leading onboarding and offboarding of teammates
- You will have met with department leads to further define the access requirements for their teams
Within three months:
- Your peers across the organization are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through and have provided areas of automation that have already streamlined key parts of the business
- You contributed to our Okta environment by integrating systems and building Okta workflow
- You have come up with some potential solutions for managing and procuring hardware across our all-remote team
- You are leading in person teammate trainings and contributing to our a-sync documentation
Within six months:
- You have become the enterprise-wide subject matter expert for IT matters, which includes access controls, vendor management, and onboarding / offboarding processes
- You have collaborated with team leaders to design and implement a process for role-based access modifications
- You maintain a report of all Sourcegraph assets and their compliance status
You are an experienced and visionary people-driven IT engineer who has the skills to effectively support our rapidly scaling teams. You thrive in a high growth environment and can contribute to a team wherever necessary, as a systems expert and a tactical technical resource. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- 4 – 7 years of experience in TechOps/IT for a technology-focused company
- Demonstrable experience managing an internal cloud-based system portfolio
- Experience working on cross functional projects, representing IT on such topics as change management, identity and access management, policy management and data retention
- Advanced ability in analyzing risk and designing efficient controls to minimize risk
- Previous experience automating IT processes
Nice to haves:
- Previous experience managing a team of support engineers
- Previous experience with Okta, Okta Workflows, VMWare’s WS1, and/or Jira Service Desk
- Comfortable with concepts like TCP/IP, DNS, routing, and backup and recovery
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
Intro Conversation Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30 min] Recruiter screen with Kelsey Nagel
- [30 min] Hiring Manager screen with Nicky Van Maanen
Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [45 min] Resume deep dive with Nicky Van Maanen
- [1 hr] Peer Interview / Working session with Nate Freng and Maureen Loughrey
Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30 min] Peer Interview with Dora Grgic
- [30 min] Values interview
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.