Balena (51-200 Employees, 50% 2 Yr Employee Growth Rate)
Balena is a complete set of tools for building, deploying, and managing fleets of connected IoT devices.
What you will do
As a Technical Sales Engineer, you will wear multiple hats including technical pre-sales, solutions architect, and account manager. While closing deals is important, your focus will be on acting as the voice of the customer – understanding their use case, discovering pain points, articulating the value of the balena platform, sharing feedback with internal teams, and helping customers succeed and grow with balena. You will also be empowered to lead initiatives and drive improvements throughout the product development lifecycle, and will work closely with our product and engineering teams.
As a product-led company, we don’t follow a traditional sales playbook, and we don’t have quotas or targets. Instead, we take a bottom-up approach and work to continuously improve the product and reduce friction for new and existing customers.
- Continuously improve the quality of the Etcher codebase – writing, refactoring, and testing code
- Identify, qualify, and nurture leads from our user base, inbound requests, and strategic outreach
- Own the end-to-end customer experience: deliver presentations and demos, lead negotiations, onboard new customers, facilitate understanding of the platform, and drive adoption and expansion
- Spot feedback patterns, dig deep to understand the root cause of customer challenges, help brainstorm long-term solutions, and collaborate across teams to launch new product capabilities
- Develop tools and automation to accelerate the sales process, streamline customer success, and enable self-service
- As needed, manage extended customer projects and service engagements (e.g. enterprise POCs)
- Skilled at understanding customer needs and coaching users on the value a product provides for their use case
- Ability to navigate product adoption and commercial processes within organizations of various sizes
- Ability to gather and interpret customer feedback and align internal efforts to develop features and product improvements based on this feedback
- Awareness – and healthy skepticism – of SaaS sales processes, and an interest in developing new ones to fit the balena context
- Highly organized, able to handle many threads at once, and keep things moving — you’ll be interacting with many different customers on any given day
- Continuous improvement mindset and desire to make self and others more effective
- Willingness to learn complex technical subjects and develop a deep understanding of our products
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and fluency in English
As you will be covering customers in the Americas, we are interested in candidates from a timezone in the Americas.
- Previous customer-facing experience (e.g. pre- or post-sales, customer success, technical consulting)
- Experience working with IoT, infrastructure, or developer tool use cases
- Background in software development or other technical fields
- Familiarity with technologies like Docker and Linux, and single-board computers like the Raspberry Pi
- Knowledge of modern product-led go-to-market strategies
- Background in leading projects and working across functions to deliver ongoing value to customers
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you!